One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. (Mark 1:16 NLT)
You might wonder how God can use you? Well, fishermen weren't actually the upperclass of society at the turn of the first century and He had no problem using them. And At least 4 and probably 7 of the 12 were fisherman. Why did Jesus call them? What traits do they have that you and I need as well?
1. Fishermen are hard workers. They often put in an entire day with very few results. God wants people who aren't afraid of a little work and who won't stop because the results 'they can see' don't seem significant.
2. Fishermen are patient. They may cast 30 times (or more) in the same spot trying to get a fish to rise. God's work and call do require patience as we wait upon Him and His strength.
3. Fishermen are courageous. They go into dangerous areas and take risks in order to try to catch the 'big one'. Many commercial fishermen will battle seas and storms to ply their trade.
4. Fishermen learn their craft by humbly sitting at the feet of a master fisherman. My grandpa taught me and it took a while. I had to listen. I had to try new things. I had to admit I didn't know it all. By the way, looking back, those were great times.
5. Fishermen are men of faith. They can only rarely see what is happening under the water. Most of the time they are taking a tiny lure to a large body of water, throwing it in, and then hoping that some giant lunker will bite it. They put faith in their skill, faith in their equipment, faith in the weather...
6. Fishermen are prepared. When I go fishing, I usually lay out all of my equipment a day or so in advance. I think about were I am going. I study maps, weather, etc.
What would happen if we put these types of qualities to work in our spiritual lives (as followers of Jesus). Wow, I bet our lives would change as well as those around us!
You have been made/designed/created for God's pleasure and purposes (Read Ephesians 2:10 sometime). He knows you inside and out. You don't have to be a fisherman to be called by God but you do have to hear His call and respond to it. What qualities do you have that Holy God wants in His service?